Friday, November 04, 2005

Jawbone Radio Quoted in Wired.Com Article

The article about vidcasting that I was interviewed for last week came out this morning on Wired.com, and I play the part of the Lone Dissenting Voice.



I talked about this topic on the show a bit and I want to officially go on the record here as saying that I don't think vidcasting is a totally bad idea. There is some serious potential. As a listener pointed out to me, our friends Bryan and Gene are doing their own vidcast. But their vidcast is in a television format and is powerful enough to keep you entertained.



I will stand by my statement that watching a video version of a podcast is not the way to go. Unless you are Howard Stern and there is some interest in seeing what is going on in your studio, watching hosts chat back and forth is simply not interesting.

What didn't make it into the article were my comments about the production of vidcasts. I personally feel that it takes a totally different skillset to produce a worthwhile vidcast. The beauty of podcasting is that you can multitask while listening. You can sit on a train or in your car and still be immersed in the show. A vidcast needs 100% of your attention. And you have to think a bit differently when producing in the visual medium. And my opinion is that few people can make the transition from "radio" to "tv".

Anywho, I hope I don't come off as too much of a wet blanket, but someone had to take the opposite side. If you're interested, you can read the whole story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment