Monday, May 05, 2008

The Little Known DC Universe


Ambush Bug
Originally uploaded by jawboneradio.
So, over the weekend, I grabbed the DC Comics Encyclopedia. I've been wanting to get it for a while, so I celebrated Free Comic Book day by adding it to my collection of comic tomes. I was take by the number of superheroes that are so ancillary in the DC universe. Really, DC is founded on four, maybe five great marquee heroes. The rest (compared to the Marvel universe) seem like filler.

So I decided to start drawing these secondary heroes and give them some heroic due. I started with a request, Ambush Bug, (shown here) and Neon the Unknown a 1940's superhero who seems to be making a revival this year. I'm planning on doing more, until then, you can keep checking on the Flickr set I created. I'll also try to post as I do these.