Wednesday, August 29, 2007

And Now, A Short Break From Zombies...

As some of you may or may not know, I do draw things other than monsters. And this is one of those rare occurances where I get to do just that. In this case, the art is a bit humbling to me and I feel honored to even get the chance to do something like this.

When I appeared on Boing Boing earlier this summer, I got a lot of attention and, along with that, a lot of requests. One of the requests was from a Catholic priest named Fr. Vic. Extraordinarily, Fr. Vic not only requested a zombie, but also wanted to know if I was open to other commissions. Apparently, Fr. Vic's parish collects original art of St. Matthew. So, this year, I was one of the lucky artists to paint this renound Saint.

What I found in my research is that there is not much known about St. Matthew. He was a tax collector, an apostle and one of the gospel writers. But other than that, he remains a bit of a mystery for church historians. I decided to use as the focal point the notion of someone dropping wordly possessions for a higher calling. You know, put your faith in God and all will work out.

As I told Fr. Vic, I'm no homilist, but if the painting has a meaning, it's that. Ayway, I thought I'd share the image with you all. Like I said, I'm humbled to even have an opportunity like this. And I had a lot of fun painting it. There should be a video of this process up in a few days. I'll post the link when it's done.

UPDATE: It's done.