Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My Transformers Review

So, to celebrate the fourth of July, a few of us went out to see Transformers last night. Yes, it was loud. (At one point, my eardrums were making that annoying tinny sound, and that was just in the first five minutes of the film.) Yes, it was obnoxious. Yes, it was big, dumb and quintessentially American. And yes, I loved the hell out of it.

I went in expecting quick cuts and the over-the-top, ham-fisted directorial style of Michael Bay, and that's exactly what I got. I mean, come on. The scenes are laughably torn from the classic Hollywood action sequence playbook. Like the sexy pinup brunette driving a tow truck backwards through the city streets while a robot shoots missles from his arms, all to the pumping, heavy metal video game soundtrack. Or how about the Marine sliding on his back down the sidewalk, screaming like a Rambo-reject and shooting grenades up a robots underpinnings? High-larious folks. It's the movie equivalent of a fireworks display: loud chest-hurting explosions and colorful sparks leading up to a frenetic finale. And when all is said and done, you're faced with a sky full of dissapating smoke and a long drive home.

In short, it was everything I wanted in a Hollywood blockbuster and even more. And yes, I plan on seeing it again. And probably buying it on DVD, too. I'm such a sucker for this cinematic stupidity.

What did you guys think of the film?