Friday, July 27, 2007

Thoughts On The Simpsons Movie

I saw the Simpsons movie this afternoon with DJ Hojo and I really, really liked it. I thought the writers did a good job of overcoming the huge expectations of the film and told a really solid, really enjoyable story. At its worst, the film felt like a mediocre episode of the show. But at it's best, it delivered incredibly heartfelt performances from the voice actors (which is amazing to me considering the amount of material and situations these characters have gone through for the past 18 years) and some good-old fashioned laugh out loud Simpson-esque humor. Be on the lookout for some nods to some ancient episodes - there are many. Also, we may lose a Simpson character along the way...that's all I'll say.

One thing I would have liked to have seen more of is the breaking of fourth wall -- having the characters talk to the audience a bit more and acknowledge their TV roots a bit more. There were a few moments like that in the film, by I, personally, would have liked it to have been a bit more self-indulgent. It's the Simpsons for crying out loud!

Regardless, if you're a fan of the show, diehard or casual, this is a good time at the movies.

What are your thoughts on the film?