Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Leno and Conan to Return in New Year - Sans Writers

This could prove to be interesting viewing.
"NBC HOSTS JAY LENO AND Conan O'Brien have agreed to bring new episodes of their respective late-night shows back to NBC starting Jan. 2--but without their writing staffs, the network said Monday.

"Unfortunately, now with the New Year upon us, I am left with a difficult decision," O'Brien said. "Either go back to work and keep my staff employed or stay dark and allow 80 people, many of whom have worked for me for 14 years, to lose their jobs. If my show were entirely scripted, I would have no choice. But the truth is that shows like mine are hybrids, with both written and non-written content. An unwritten version of "Late Night," though not desirable, is possible--and no one has to be fired."'
I know I'll be Tivoing Conan, just to see what happens. Read the full story here.