Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Things To Hate Vol. 2

Somehow I blame one of the blogs I follow, Electric Disk, for this. (BTW, if you haven't checked out his blog, do so today.) He had written a post about Nickelodeon's answer to Hannah Montana, Miranda Cosgrove. She is from the show iCarly, and if you want to know how I know this, one only has to look at our Tivo Now Playing list to see that Drake and Josh fills up a portion if it.

Anywho, I've been subjected to Ms. Cosgrove in other ways. For example, she has a free song on Rock Band, and she's on pretty much every freaking commercial on Nick. So when ED posted about her new video, I had to check it out. (Well, not really, but I did anyway.)



I don't want to belabor the point of how much I dislike her head-bobbing and weirdly empty smile and acting, but for the purposes of this post, know that I do.

So I'm checking out the video and as the case is with YouTube surfing, I find out that the song "About You Now" is a COVER SONG by the all-girl band, Sugarbabes. And here is the said video:



The watching of this video, along with fostering an intense longing for the long-gone halcyon days of Bananarama, elicits a ton of questions. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Is there anything to this formula of girl bands made up of one part Latino girl, one third black girl and one third blonde girl?

2. Why do the women keep touching each other's shoulders?

3. Why is that parkur man chasing Billie Jean King through the streets?

4. Why does the Latino girl keep pushing her tuchis out into the staircase?

5. Why does the blonde chick keep hugging that wall? Is that wall really the cube from Transformers?

6. Who would win a fight between each Sugarbabe?

7. In the scene where the parkur man jumps past the woman on crutches, is that a stealth commentary on the Sugarbabes view on the handicapped?

I'm sure more questions will be added soon. But these are my questions for now. What I find the most interesting about both videos is that they are able to take one song and make equally irritating videos each time. Kudos to music video maker people!