Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Posting in Between Drawing Cramps

I think it was Casey Kasem who said, "the requests keep coming in and I keep counting them down." And that's exactly what we're doing here. I have to say, this has been an interesting project so far. What I find the most intriguing is the varied responses I am getting from the different podcasters I am sketching. It's everything from wild enthusiasm to total indifference. I find the latter reaction sort of odd, since I think there is a larger importance to these drawings. Not to get too deep, but I think it's cool that I am capturing people at a point in their lives when they are doing something groundbreaking with this new form of communication. In some ways, there is a bit of faux celebrity going on with these drawings. Since the technology is moving so fast, this fame is fleeting. In any event, this project is allowing me to draw more, something that I have really missed over the past few years.

Anywho, onto today's installments in the podcaster art gallery:

I think Keith from Keith and the Girl likes this picture. Or he might hate it. I only was able to find one picture of Keith, and it was a tough one to work from. Either way, I had a lot of fun drawing them. I wanted to do something more photographic, a la Annie Liebowitz for them and their show. I hope I succeeded, because I really like this one a lot. Even if I did make Keith look like Pete Rose.


This is a request from a 16 year old kid who is doing a podcast about lions. Red Lions in particular. I think. What is odd about this request was that minutes after I sent him the pic, he told me to stop drawing because his older brother was going to draw him a lion instead. Mmkay. After seeing the drawing, he admitted that what I drew is cooler than anything his brother would have done.


Indiekid from the Spotlight podcast asked for probably the most difficult drawing to date. Tall buildings. An iPod Photo displaying his sig. And a ClearChannel Sign that was being overtaken by the MusicPodcasting.org logo. Phew. Brian Ibbot had sent me over a link to some interesting celebrity caricatures, and I really dug her mashup, collage style, so I decided to incorporate it into my work.


I've got some very difficult, but cool, drawings coming up. So keep your eyes peeled.

2 comments:

  1. More pix of Keith
    http://shite.com/pics.htm

    http://shite.com/white.htm

    and of the girl
    http://chemda.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Len, i meant to add that your dwgs are looking good. I like te mix of real photos and the dwgs from you.. The slight rodger rabbit feel to it.

    Put a cut off date for submissions. Or you will never be done... You will have to change the name from Jawbone podcast to jawbone sketchcast

    ReplyDelete