Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tivo Gets Popups

While watching last night's episode of 24, we noticed that a huge pop-up for the movie "The Intercepter" flashed over the screen while we zapped through commericals. I had heard that Tivo was thinking of adding banner advertisments to their service as a way to appease advertisers. And now it looks as if it is happening. I believe they started testing it over the weekend. My question is: Is it ethically and morally right to place an ad on top of an ad? If I were an advertiser that had paid good money to have my 30 second spot shown, I don't know how I would feel about another ad bumper-stickered over my spot.

I guess we'll see what kind of backlash this does for the tivo-community. I hope it doesn't kill Tivo. We love our Tivo. I think we would hold a memorial service if Tivo went out of business.

Then again, maybe I'm just being overreactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment